You may have heard about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Have you ever really thought about whether or not your home is safe from it? There are a few things you can do right now to help protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning. Here is a list of preventative measures you can take:
- The easiest thing you can do to find out if carbon monoxide is present in your home is to install a carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide is not easily noticed in the air without proper carbon monoxide detectors because it is an odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas. Carbon monoxide detectors are about $20 at your local hardware store and can be real lifesavers.
- Check your appliances, fireplaces, stoves, and any other heating sources to make sure all pilot lights are on and that everything is working properly. If you notice any dew on the appliances or notice that fires will not start properly, have a repair person come fix the problem.
- Check for unexplained symptoms in everyone living in your home. Headaches, nausea, dizziness, sleepiness, shortness of breath or tightness in the chest could be the flu, but it could also could be the early stages of carbon monoxide poisoning. Exposure could result in fainting, seizures and even death if you are not careful.
- If your carbon monoxide detector starts beeping to indicate there is carbon monoxide present, get out into the fresh air immediately and call 911. Do not stay in the house because carbon monoxide poisoning can occur very quickly. Even if you are not experiencing any symptoms, it is a good idea to have yourself checked out by a doctor.
Keep your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Call us with any concerns or questions about carbon monoxide poisoning and how to prevent it.